August 30th, Thursday 8:00-8:45pm
I bought The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams over a year ago, before I knew about this class or that I would be attending this college. I felt very lucky that I didn't have to go out and buy a book let me tell you! I bought this book because I did animated stop motion shorts for my high school senior project, my first serious attempt at animation. I didn't know a single person who knew something about animation, so I bought this book. Rereading this reminded me of so many things. I feel like the beginning is a little discouraging to many artists, but I really do love Richard Williams, and his advice. My favorite of his is The Thief and the Cobbler which is not what he is known for, Who Framed Roger Rabbit. I feel in love with the movie when I was eleven or twelve.
I actually, after reading him go through some history of animation itself, went on youtube and watched The Skeleton Dance, which I have not watched in a very long time if at all. It reminded me of the extreme work it takes to animate even a five minute animation sequence. I read through the comments and laughed at how many people, who in my opinion couldn't have been animators, reamed the animation. I couldn't help but wonder if they thought they could do better.
The book and the animations reminded me of the difficulties of animating and the importance of drawing that I have long gawked at. I have taken summer drawing classes at other colleges, and it reminds me why I need more practice. I dread Drawing I, but it reminds me why I'm taking it. To become an amazing animator.
No comments:
Post a Comment